Chili is a family-favorite meal, and a perfect base to replace all – or part – of the ground beef with high-fiber legumes. It makes a great option as either a main dish or a side. It can also be a fantastic potluck crowd pleaser.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 32-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan until hot.
- Cook green pepper, red pepper, onion, carrots, celery and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft, stirring often.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and stir thoroughly.
- Bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
|Serving Size 1 cup|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 7g|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 64g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 19g||76%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|