Homemade Frozen Yogurt
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Commercial frozen yogurt contains added sugar and other flavorings. Make your own frozen yogurt using unsweetened frozen fruit, and you can vary the flavor to suit your taste and also control the amount of sugar you use.
- 4 cups unsweetened frozen fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, raspberries, or mango
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (your choice to use Greek or regular plain yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend on medium-high for 2-4 minutes. Blend for the shorter amount of time if you prefer a chunkier texture, and for the longer amount of time if you prefer a smooth texture.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer container and freeze overnight.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Instead of frozen fruit, you can also use fresh fruit; wash and cut into bite-size chunks then freeze overnight before using to make frozen yogurt.
Strawberry/Mango fruit blend made with regular plain, non-fat yogurt: Nutrition facts: makes eight ½ cup servings. 64 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 2mg cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 12g sugar, 1g protein
Banana/Raspberry fruit blend made with plain, non-fat Greek yogurt: Nutrition facts: makes eight ½ cup servings: 65 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 1mg cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 9g sugar, 2g protein
Compare to Dannon Oikos Greek Strawberry frozen yogurt: ½ cup contains 140 calories, 2.5g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 18g sugar and 6g protein.1
- Dannon Oikos Greek Frozen Yogurt. http://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt/traditional-greek-yogurt/strawberry/ accessed 7-28-16