Crockpot Turkey Chili
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Start this crockpot chili the night before, browning the turkey, onion and garlic and mixing everything together. Place it in the crockpot in the morning before you head out, and dinner will be ready for you when you are.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste, unsalted
- 1 (15-oz) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot red pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 stalks green green onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add turkey, onion and garlic.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the turkey is no longer pink, stirring frequently to mix everything together.
- Spoon mixture into a slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook at HIGH 4 to 5 hours or at LOW 6 to 8 hours.
- Use avocado, green onions, tomatoes, and cheddar cheese as toppings when serving.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 17g|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 36g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|