Bulgur Wheat And Winter Vegetables
Last updated: Oct 01, 2018
Bulgur wheat is a delicious whole grain that is quick and easy to prepare. Whole grains provide a wide range of health benefits including decreased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some types of cancer. This recipe combination of whole grain bulgur wheat and winter vegetables complements chicken, fish or lean red meat for a complete and healthy meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 6-ounce package baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Heat oil in a heavy, large pot over high heat.
- Add root vegetables and onions
- Sauté until softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and seasonings; bring to boil.
- Add bulgur; cover pot and turn off heat. Let stand for 25 minutes.
- Add spinach; stir until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds
|Serving Size 2 cups|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 9g|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|