Zesty Chicken and Pasta
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan C. Canonico, RD
Try this whole-wheat pasta dish, which can be included in a diet for people with high blood sugar or diabetes.
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 16-ounce can of drained, diced Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 1 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash Italian medley salt-free seasoning
- 14 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of prepared whole-wheat linguine
- 4 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh, chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet.
- Saute onions and garlic until they soften.
- Season chicken breasts with Mrs. Dash seasoning.
- Add chicken to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan and keep it covered and warm.
- Add drained, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, olives, capers, and red pepper to the skillet.
- Simmer sauce for 15, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and accumulated juices to the skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Place 1/2 cup of cooked whole-wheat linguine on each plate and top it with 1/2 chicken breast and sauce.
- Sprinkle the dish with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Top with fresh, chopped parsley.
|Serving Size 314 grams|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 320||Calories from Fat 80|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 9g|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|