White Beans, Turkey Sausage, and Kale
Reviewed by Susan Canonico, RD
Enjoy this low-calorie, tasty dish for a healthy helping of fiber and protein!
- 1/2 lb of turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves of sliced garlic
- 1 15-ounce cans of no-salt-added white beans
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3/4 lb of kale or spinach
- 1 tablespoon (or more to taste) of balsamic vinegar
- Remove sausage from its casing or purchase ready-to-use sausage.
- Break sausage into small pieces.
- Saute it in the olive oil until it is brown (approximately 5 minutes).
- Place sausage in a bowl and set aside.
- Saute garlic in the same pan until it is golden (do not burn it!).
- Add beans with a 1/2 cup of water.
- Stir in kale or spinach, a few handfuls at a time.
- Simmer the greens until they are tender.
- Add more water if needed to keep the beans moist.
- Stir in the turkey sausage.
- Season the mixture with black pepper and balsamic vinegar to taste.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 15g|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This delicious dish makes a wonderful main or side dish!