By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan Canonico, RD
Try this delicious, heart-healthy treat to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- 1 Honeycrisp or Jonathon apple
- 1 ounce of crumbled walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick for decoration
- Core but do not peel the apple.
- Leave 1/2 inch of the apple intact on its bottom.
- Place the apple in a microwave-safe glass dish.
- Mix walnuts, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sweetener together.
- Place mixture into the hollow core of the apple.
- Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Place cinnamon stick in core for visual appeal.
|Serving Size 1|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 17g|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Without walnuts, this recipe yields:
Fat .4 grams
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fiber 5 g
Protein .1 g
Sodium 3 mg