Heart-healthy Spaghetti Sauce
Last updated: Jan 31, 2014
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan C. Canonico, RD
Serve this delicious sauce over spaghetti squash for extra fiber and fewer calories.
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 1 14.5-ounce cans of undrained, no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can of no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- A dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of no-salt Italian seasoning such as Mrs. Dash
- 1/2 cup of dry lentils
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over low to medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, and celery and simmer about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add water as needed to keep the mixture from becoming too thick.
|Serving Size 3/4 cup|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4g|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||48%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Each serving provides 48% of daily fiber recommendations.