Healthy Breakfast Burritos
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan C. Canonico, RD
Tired of cereal, fruit, and yogurt for breakfast? Try a protein-packed breakfast burrito instead!
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped red and green bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon of canola oil
- 3 large eggs and 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup of fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup of pinto of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup of shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 chopped avocado
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 4 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- Hot sauce to taste
- Heat the canola oil in a nonstick skillet.
- Saute the onion and bell peppers until they are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add beans and heat through for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Place vegetable/bean mixture in a bowl and stir in the shredded cheese.
- Thoroughly mix together the eggs, egg whites, fat-free milk, and salt and pepper with a fork and scramble it in the skillet.
- Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave them on high for 20 to 40 seconds to soften them.
- Layer each tortilla with the vegetable/bean mixture, scrambled eggs, salsa, hot sauce, and avocado.
- Roll the tortilla up and serve it.
|Serving Size 1 burrito|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 14g|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
If you are watching your weight or limiting salt, consider having half a breakfast burrito to cut calories and sodium.