Fresh and Delicious Guacamole
Reviewed by Susan Canonico, RD
Guacamole is a heart-healthy Mexican dish made from avocados. It can be served as an hors d'oeuvre, side dish, or topping for fish and chicken. It's also delicious as a sandwich spread on bread, toast, and soft tortilla wraps.
The key to flavorful guacamole is ripe avocados. Gently press the outside of an avocado to check for ripeness. If the avocado gives slightly, it's just right for making delicious guacamole. If it's mushy, it's too ripe!
- 2 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, minced (about a half a cup)
- 1 to 2 serrano chiles, minced with stems and seeds removed (add to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of course salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, mash the cubed avocado with a fork.
- Mix in the minced red onion.
- Lightly toss the lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper together with the avocado/tomato/onion mixture.
- Add in only part of the chili peppers so that you can increase the hotness to a desired degree.
- Cover the guacamole with plastic wrap directly on the mixture to prevent air from browning (bruising) it.
- Refrigerate mixture until you're ready to serve it.
- Add the tomatoes last, just before serving the dish.
- Place fresh leftover cilantro leaves on top to enhance the taste and presentation.
|Serving Size 4 tbsps|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 15g|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Eye Care When Handling Chili Peppers
Use care when handling the chili peppers! You may use rubber gloves to avoid contact with the peppers; however, if you prefer using your bare hands, be sure to wash them thoroughly after handling the chilis. Do not touch your eyes or face for several hours after handling the peppers.