Butternut Squash Soup
Reviewed by Susan Canonico, RD
Try this tasty soup as an hors d'oeuvre or main dish!
- 1/2 pound chestnuts
- 1 2-pound butternut squash (you also can purchase already diced squash)
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 5 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger (optional)
- 1 ½ cups of fat-free half and half
- Peel chestnuts.
- Peel and seed squash and cut it into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Chop onion, carrot, and celery and add it to melted butter in a saucepan.
- Cook to wilt, but not brown the vegetables.
- Add 4 cups of broth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover it, and reduce the heat.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the squash/chestnuts are tender.
- Stir in ginger.
- Puree the mixture in a blender/emulsion blender.
- Add the last cup of broth and stir.
- Add cream.
- Blend everything together.
|Serving Size 1 cup|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 20.5g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|