Summertime Shrimp Salad
Last updated: Aug 01, 2014
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Try this delicious shrimp salad for a quick, nutritious meal that needs no oven!
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat couscous
- 1 pound of cooked, peeled, and deveined large shrimp
- 1 cup of chopped green pepper
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes cut into halves
- 4 cups of mixed salad greens
- 1 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper
- Place couscous in a large bowl, add 1 cup of boiling water, cover and let the mixture site for 5 minutes, and then fluff the couscous with a fork.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, green pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and avocado.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together and stir them into the shrimp/vegetable mixture.
- To serve, place 1 cup of salad greens on each plate and top them 1/2 cup of couscous and 1/4 of the shrimp/vegetable mixture.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 370||Calories from Fat 140|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 16g|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Add freshly sliced lemon or lime for an appealing garnish. If you need to restrict the amount of salt you eat, refrain from adding salt to the recipe and be sure to eat low-salt foods the day you eat this meal to balance your salt intake.