South African-style Lentils
Last updated: Feb 09, 2015
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan C. Canonico, RD
Try this delicious, healthy lentil dish as a substitute for a meat meal.
- 2 cups of dry lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper cut into thin slices
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 whole tomatoes, chopped
- 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4" squares
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- Rinse lentils in cold water and drain them.
- Add lentils to 6 cups of boiling water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 60 to 90 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and set them aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick saucepan.
- Saute onion, garlic, and red pepper until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir thoroughly, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils to the onion seasoning mixture.
- Heat through, stirring frequently.
- Serve with mozzarella squares.
- Garnish the top with cilantro.
|Serving Size 3/4 cup|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 310||Calories from Fat 60|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 7g|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 16g||64%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|