Holiday Molasses Cookies
Last updated: Dec 03, 2013
By Lynn Grieger, RD, CDE, CPT for Summit Medical Group
Reviewed by Susan C. Canonico, RD
Try these chewy, delicious, soft molasses cookies for a lower-sugar treat baked with holiday spices, ground flax, and whole-wheat flour.
- 1 egg white
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup of long-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup of blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax
- 1/2 cup of sugar for a light, sparkly coating
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine egg white and ground flax in a bowl and set aside.
- Mash the banana in a separate bowl and add whole-wheat flour and oats, thoroughly mixing ingredients.
- Add flax and egg mixture with molasses and mix until the ingredients are combined.
- Thoroughly stir the banana, flour, and oat mixture together with the flax, egg, and molasses.
- Scoop cookie dough in teaspoon-sized amounts and roll into balls between your palms.
- Place the 1/2 cup of sugar on a separate plate and roll the balls into the sugar, lightly coating them.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
|Serving Size 1 cookie|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 90||Calories from Fat .5|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Carbohydrate 20g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
These molasses cookies are terrific when paired with a cup of hot tea or hot coffee to warm you on a cold Winter's day!